Pages

Tuesday 8 April 2014

BUNAC Work America Diaries; Interviews

As mentioned in the previous post, within a few days, i had multiple interview scheduled. Obviously, a skype interview is different to a face to face interview. I don't think i got as stressed out as i have in previous job interviews, because i had multiple lined up.

The format was similar on them all, the employer asked how I was, we discussed how sunny it was there and how I am very jealous, I got a few compliments on my accent and I had to bite my tongue from imitating their accent, because I generally pick up other twangs easily!

The actual interview questions were so informal, asking about the previous experience i had relating to the job in question, and even if I didn't have any in that particular field I blabbed my way through it, emphasising how I was a fast learning and thrived in a busy stimulating environment (These seem to be useful key phrases to throw into any interview!).




I highly suggest creating a list of general questions that you think of during the application process that only someone who is employing you would be able to answer. Most employees will end an interview with 'is there anything youd like to ask?' and i always feel silly just saying 'no, no questions!' so i prepared some for this moment.

Here are a few examples of questions I asked in every interview;
 - What is the pay per hour?
Some jobs pay a massive wage, some pay very little. There are pros and cons to each. In some jobs (more so for waitressing) I was told that although the basic wage was lower than others, the tips per shift more than make up for that. You have to weigh up whether you'd prefer that or not. Guaranteed average pay, or the chance to make a hefty amount more on certain shifts, but slightly less on others.

- What would the average day be like working for you?
One of the jobs i was interviewed for was a hotel restaurant, which required me to be in work for two out of three shifts a day, either at approx 7am - 10am, 12-3 or 7-10, so a total of 6 hours a day, split up. Although this meant I would have short shifts and free time to laze around and be a general beach bum in between shifts, my general ideal day does not include waking up at 6am most mornings.
The job I eventually accepted works on a rota basis, so your shifts change every day, ranging from 4-8 hours throughout the day. There is a chance i will be up early for some shifts, but one a week, not every day. The flexible rota means that i can also ask for a extra day off if I want to travel one weekend, and then pick up more shifts if i need extra money when there's busy periods!

- Is housing included?
Most companies either will provide accommodation either on site (either included or subsidized), have housing a small distance away, or have some contacts with which they can put you in touch with in order to sort out housing in the area. Make sure you ask what the price per week is, because it would be annoying to accept a job, and then find out the accommodation is three ties more expensive than other job offers! Also find out how far away it is, and if there's easy travel methods such as bikes or local cheap buses if its not on site!

- What is there to do on your days off in the area?
I ended up turning down a job on Mackinac Island because although the area was beautiful and very outdoors orientated which i would have loved, the employer told me that there wasn't many activities to do in my own time, and the ferry to the main land was over a hour. There was also only 3 people employed in the shop, which means my days off would be lonely. To some people this may be a good point, but after thinking long and hard about the pros and cons, i decided that i needed a more socially stimulating place to work, with things to do, places to go and people to see!


Some places will offer you a job straight away at the end of the interview, some will get back to you at a later date. If they offer it to you, don't be afraid to ask to think about it and talk it through with other people before accepting or rejecting it, remember you have to be sure, this is your summer and you want to enjoy it, not be stuck in a place or a job that you don't like, hating every minute of it!



 

Blog Template by BloggerCandy.com